In progress indicator

Bindweed

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Sandy Rawlins

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My new garden has a little corner reserved for my growing hosta collection. Horror of horrors it's got bindweed! I've ehard that the best way to get rid is to let the weed grow up canes and then zap with glyphosate? Does this need to be a spray application and if so can anyone recommend one?

Can i pull it out as it appears, and if so will it weaken? It's coming in from next door's garden, and they're not taking teh hint.

Would i be better re-locating my hosta patch before things get out of hand? Any comments welcome, thanks.

• Views: 905
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 24th July 2009 22:12

Bindweed

Reply from Georgie

Hi Sandy

I do sympathise. I have the same problem with bindweed coming into the garden from the garden next door but in my case it's in my wildlife area.

I don't use chemicals (although I think I've read that you can buy 'paint on' types which would mean that only the intended plant would be killed). What I did was to dig down about a foot by the fence and bury some old broken paving slabs to form a barrier. This has helped a lot but the odd piece still comes in under the fence. I'm very vidulent and just pull it up and bin it as I see it. I've read that this does weaken the plant but I guess it rather depends on just how much bindweed you are having to cope with. Good luck.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 26th July 2009 10:10

My bindweed problem

Reply from Sandy Rawlins

Hi Georgie, thanks for your response. I've done a similar thing along our fence line but using old roofing slates although they are perhaps not deep enough.

What I'm really concerned about is if, as my hostas grow to fill the space, I will not be able to get to the bindweed and it will just get all tangled up with the plants. I was wondering whether to relocate my hostas to a 'safer' place, before they get really established. Thankks for yur help

• Posted: Sun. 26th July 2009 20:45

Should I move the Hostas

Reply from Georgie

Hi again Sandy

I'm no expert on Hostas. But if they are your pride and joy and you have an alternative site in mind then given what you've said about the bindweed problem I think you might be wise to move them. Good luck.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 26th July 2009 21:03

Helpful?

Reply from Nicola

Hi Sandy - so glad to see you back asking questions! Did Georgie help? If yes, we would love it if you would send her a quick thank you? Sometimes it can be a bit disheartening not hear anything back and I know she'd appreciate it:-) Hope you are enjoying Shoot! All the best Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 26th July 2009 17:38