In progress indicator

Drought tolerant species for Turkish garden

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Simon

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi all, I would love any suggestions from members on drought tolerant species that I could consider for my garden based in Turkey.

You can see my Turkish garden in progress here.

Thanks so much, Simon

• Views: 758
  • Replies: 18
  • Posted: Tue. 15th August 2017 12:27

Re: Drought tolerant species for Turkish garden

Reply from Paul Kemp

Hi Simon,

I used to live in inland Catalonia and have some experience with plants that need to be tolerant both of drought and some cold. I recommend that you read "Pour un jardin sans arrosage" by Olivier Filippi (this is also available in English but I'm not sure of the title) and "Steppes" by Michael Bone and Dan Johnson. "The Dry Garden" by Beth Chatto is also recommended. Depending on where in Turkey you are, there should also be plenty of beautiful native plants, for example Phlomis, irises, sages and poppies, that you could use. Please just let me know if you'd like some more specific recommendations or information.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 10:45

Reply from Bob Levien

My absolute bible is The Dry Gardening Handbook by Olivier Filippi. I have a (modest) garden on the Ionian coast and it's been invaluable!
Bob Levien

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 11:19

Re: Re: Drought tolerant species for Turkish garden

Reply from Simon

Hi Bob - I think we probably have similar climates - I will go have a look for that book now - thanks, Simon

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 13:17

Reply from Simon

Hi Bob - I just tried to find this book - not easy!! its been out of print since 2008 and the few available 2nd hand by bookseller are a bit highly priced. The original sale price was £32, but typically its about £200 second hand now!!

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 15:35

Reply from Pam B

Hi Simon
I live in Sicily so I can appreciate your request!
If you are looking for trees the obvious choice would be
olive and lemon trees.
A popular and old fashioned Mediterranean plant for biggish pots and raised beds is the Russellia. It will need watering once or twice a week in the summer months but it flowers ten months of the year and looks lovely.
Of course the ever present geranium and the jasmine officinalis are both pretty hardy.
Hope this helps.

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 11:25

Reply from Simon

Thanks Pam. I like the suggestion of Russellia - I will see if I can find a local supplier. We have olives and lemons already and our neighbour has a massive geranium bush that we can get some cuttings from. Thanks for your advice

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 15:38

Reply from Alison Bockh

Hi Simon, I design a lot of gardens on the north Devon coast - not exactly Turkey but I need tough plants for exposed sites. I think the many varieties of Cistus would be useful - low evergreen 'dumpy' shrubs covered in open rose like flowers in summer. Cistus corbariensis and C. decumbens are the most compact but they are others with flowers from white to deepest pink. Hebes (from NZ) too would fair well - covered in flower over summer and bees love them. Euphorbia mellifera would look great in a sunny spot if you like the slightly more exotic with striking green foliage and bracts of honey scented flowers - watch out, it will get big in a warm site! And of course there are the usual suspects of Yuccas and Agaves in a warm, dry garden. All the best,
Alison.

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 12:32

Reply from Rick Laughlin

Hi Simon, I am an experienced APLD certified gardener/landscape designer in Salt Lake City...what is your nightime low, your daily high? What zone do you live in? I can recommend plants based on this information...I am thinking you are probably in a Zone 6-9???

Rick Laughlin, APLD

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 12:33

Reply from Simon

Hi Rick
Summertime we have night temperature of 15-20 and day temp of 25-40
Wintertime, night temp is 4-6 and daytime 15-20
Ive never heard of a frost here, although there are sometimes hailstones - even in July if a big storm passes
July/Aug/Sept there is very little water for the plants. No rain and water system runs dry, so just a little from some underground sources
Thanks for your help
Regards
Simon

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 13:15

Re: DroDght tolerant species for Turkish garden

Reply from Rick Laughlin

Hi Simon, I would recommend Caryopteris, rubber or small rabbit brush, Chocolate Flower(smells like Chocolate)! some of the Pawnee buttes sand shrub, etc. Rick Laughlin, APLD

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 12:39

Re: Re: DroDght tolerant species for Turkish garden

Reply from Simon

Thanks Rick - I will see what I can source. The chocolate flower looke easy to get hold of and I fancy the Pawnee Buttes but can't find anyone stocking the seeds

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 21:44

Reply from Topsy Bainbridge

I went to an amazing little garden centre in Norwich looking for the same kind of plant and came away with a Lotus Hirsutus (syn.Dorycnium hirsutum) which has gone in my gravel garden in full sun this summer and it loves it there!... it doesn't have spectacular flowers..they are small pea-like white and pink.... but it is a silvery/grey/green and a lovely-shaped ground cover shrub... approx 2' x 3'.

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 13:59

Reply from Simon

Thanks Topsy - this sounds very useful for ground cover - I will try and get hold of some. In the absence of grass for ground cover I am going to need quite a lot of plants like this

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 21:13

Reply from John Wicks

Try Liriope muscari (Purple Lily Turf) - flowers in autumn and is also shade tolerant.
John

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 19:30

Reply from izzet

Hi Simon, I live in Antalya, Turkey..If you tell your locality, ? can say some native plants name too. Do you interested in geophytes?

• Posted: Wed. 16th August 2017 20:41

Reply from fem gucluturk

Hi Simon,

I suppose your around Bodrum? We recently moved to Gokova province. Almost same conditions (except winter temperatures, we have -C° around here) . I own a botanic shop in Istanbul, and nowadays reading and preparing my little garden for forest gardening. I can suggest some Legume family plants so you have a good soil web, and no tilling/digging future!. They fix Nitrogen to the soil and make/keep your soil healthy. Example: Albizia julibrissin ( Turkish name: Gülibri?im) is not evergreen but called Silk Tree, its from Iran. Amazing tree. Drought tolerant, fast/moderate grower, wind and cold tolerance is good. Be careful with Juglans (underneath you can grow only some "juglon friendly" plants. Cause walnuts produce a growth inhibitor - juglone - that has a detrimental effect on some species of plants growing nearby (negative allelopathy). And you get the nuts minimum after 5 years of planting. Anyway, if you still want to plant it, at least find host plants which are not effected from this juglone chemical of wall nuts. Laurus nobilis is of course a good evergreen shrub/tree for our climate, Eleganus is good for birds and fixes Nitrogen. For Ceratonia ciliqua you should buy two, male and female trees are separated. Or you look for grafted ones. I've found one recently.

• Posted: Thu. 17th August 2017 06:56

Reply from fem gucluturk

I forgot to mention Feijoa sellowiana (, you may eat its fruits and FLOWERS, great taste.Evergreen shrub with blue grey, hairy leaves. Called Kaymak a?ac? (Pineapple guawa)... But the flowers are bisexual. So you need two trees to cross polinate.. (if not grafted or self sufficient) but usually the local nurseries have no clue about that. You must give a try...

• Posted: Thu. 17th August 2017 07:12

Reply from Rangersport

Super location; lucky you.
For Turkish cuisine: a bay tree, which will eventually provide needed shade; peppermint in a pot to contain it and keep the roots damp; dill in a series of plantings; oregano and marjoram.
For cuts and stings: aloe vera
For fragrance: matilija poppy, if you have room

• Posted: Sun. 20th August 2017 03:15