In progress indicator

Plants for very shallow soil

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Julie Macavoy

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I'm having my patio re-laid with the intention of extending my border with some plants. However, when they removed the existing flags, there was a massive concrete layer underneath. I cannot get it removed, too big and costly, so I intend to just soil over it. The soil depth will be about 2 inches (50cms). Can anyone suggest some plants that will cope with such shallow soil? I like flowering plants, maybe some ground cover ones. The border will be in sunshine until early afternoon and I don't particularly want to have to keep watering it so maybe something that copes with dry conditions, too. Am I asking too much? If I can't find anything, I'll probably have to resort to gravel and pot plants on top. Thanks, Julie

• Views: 318
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 16th October 2017 17:24

Re: Plants for very shallow soil

Reply from Carol

Many of the alpines will cope - ordinary things like stonecrops can be quite interesting colours all the time and will flower. I would think that things like Arenaria, and Erigeron and the sorts of things that grow in cracks will also cope. Campanula muralis doesn't need a lot of soil and maybe some of the smaller hardy geraniums ("macedonica"?). What would you really like it to look like?

• Posted: Mon. 16th October 2017 17:36

Re: Re: Plants for very shallow soil

Reply from Julie Macavoy

Thanks Carol. Your suggestions look great. I'll definitely be getting all of those suggestions.

• Posted: Tue. 17th October 2017 12:16