In progress indicator

Gallanthus / snowdrops for a very shady path

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Silentboo

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Are there any snowdrops that do better in more shadier areas than others?

I have a couple of smallish pots with painted ferns in them and would like to grow something in them whilst the ferns are dormant.

The pots are situated along a path between houses, it gets a slither of sun in the morning, and a tinier slither in the evenings.

I had thought snowdrops were the answer but am starting to doubt that conclusion.

• Views: 368
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 31st January 2018 15:06

Re: Gallanthus / snowdrops for a very shady path

Reply from Nicola

Hi, a helpful suggestion from a follower on our social media: "Deep shade? I grow Galanthus nivalis and Galanthus 'Colossus' under deciduous shrubs and trees & semi-shade borders." I hope that helps? Cheers Nicola

• Posted: Thu. 1st February 2018 14:28

Re: Re: Gallanthus / snowdrops for a very shady path

Reply from Silentboo

Thanks Nicola, this does help. Our local nursery had nivalis, but the pot said 'full sun'. Will head back and pick some up.

• Posted: Fri. 2nd February 2018 15:48

Re: Re: Re: Gallanthus / snowdrops for a very shady path

Reply from Nicola

Great! Some other comments are:

"I think they should get some Galanthus nivalis ‘in the green’ this year (you can buy them for about 10p-15p per bulb online). Make sure they are allowed to die back naturally, making sure the leaves aren’t cut or tied back. I’m sure they’ll be absolutely fine."

"Most of my snowdrops don't get much sun. Try Lavinia. A lovely double that increases well"

• Posted: Fri. 2nd February 2018 16:07