In progress indicator

Hedge- help to identify and treat please

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Melanie Harries

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hello,
I’ve recently moved into a house with a hedge which is showing brown patches. Being a complete novice to gardening, I’m not sure what it is and therefore how to treat it. I have had some advice that it is irreversible damage and should be removed but want to check this is correct before taking drastic action, as I’d much prefer to treat and keep th hedge if at all possible. Any advice very welcome!
Many thanks in advance,
Melanie

Hedge- help to identify and treat pleaseHedge- help to identify and treat please

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 240
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 12th March 2018 15:40

Re: Hedge- help to identify and treat please

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Look likes a conifer of some sort, is it a thuya?what I see, is that someone has brutalized the hedge, you can do that to broad leaved evergreens like boxwood etc. the only conifer that takes cutting into old wood is Yew, no other conifer I know gets new shoots from old wood, which I see. I recommend fertilizing it and seeing if that helps. Never cut into old wood of conifers, lavender and heather, they do not re-generate.

• Posted: Tue. 13th March 2018 14:40

Re: Re: Hedge- help to identify and treat please

Reply from pauline

Sorry, Elaine, it's inaccurate to say that lavender and heathers don't regenerate if cut hard back. I have several specimens of both which became so overgrown I cut them down to a few inches of the ground and they came back with a vengeance! I agree it could be risky if you do it at the wrong time of year.

• Posted: Wed. 14th March 2018 16:57

Re: Re: Re: Hedge- help to identify and treat please

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

when do you do it? I usually trim my heathers after they finish blooming.

• Posted: Thu. 15th March 2018 14:38