In progress indicator

Help to identify a wild flower

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from paul Harradine

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My question was to help identify a wild flower that my dad grows in the garden as he has forgotten the name !

He tells me that this plant was plentiful in the ridge and furrow fields adjacent to our home in Cambridgeshire when he was a lad ( he is 85 years young now)
and they used to grow next to buttercups.

When he was a lad he used to pick the flower heads off the stem and suck the sweet fluid contained in the base.

I have attached the 3 photos that I tried to post plus an additional one

Your kind assistance is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Help to identify a wild flowerHelp to identify a wild flowerHelp to identify a wild flowerHelp to identify a wild flowerHelp to identify a wild flower

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 381
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Sun. 27th May 2018 09:30

Re: Help to identify a wild flower

Reply from Diana

Cowslip or oxlip? They look like primroses but because they are multistemmed they cannot be. Flowers look bigger than cowslips so more like oxlips.

• Posted: Mon. 28th May 2018 13:26

Reply from Carol

Is it a cowslip? Or a candelabra primula? Not sure if they are the same thing or if the latter is varieties of the first.

• Posted: Mon. 28th May 2018 21:03

Reply from pauline

Your dad may be remembering cowslips, or oxlips. These cross-pollinate with other members of the primrose family so you get various hybrids popping up in gardens and in the wild.

• Posted: Mon. 28th May 2018 21:29

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

I think it is primula veris or the cowslip.

• Posted: Tue. 29th May 2018 02:33

Reply from paul Harradine

Many thanks To all who took the time to view the photos and provide a reply.It seems cowslip is the consensus,I advised my dad who was very much appreciative !

After a further discussion with Dad he seems to recall that the local name (south Cambs) when he was a lad in the 30’s and 40’s was PAGEL pronounced like BAGEL (the ring shaped bread) can I ask if anyone has come across this name for the cowslip before or is dad mistaken ?

Kind Regards

• Posted: Tue. 29th May 2018 17:57

Re: Re: Help to identify a wild flower

Reply from pauline

If you type "cowslip pagel" into Google, you'll find a few references to this old name for the plant.

• Posted: Sat. 2nd June 2018 15:09

Help me identify this wild yellow flower

Reply from paul Harradine

Pauline Many thanks for your Help, my dad felt relieved that his memory was not in as bad shape as he thought after we looked up cowslip pagel on google and found as you advised several references to " pagel" . Re: Help to identify a wild flower

• Posted: Sat. 16th June 2018 08:44