In progress indicator

Do I cover crown from heat?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Iris Lando

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My new 9' Tree Fern planted in June had a flush of 5 large fronds in July. In the crown are many more ready to unfurl but they are splitting and giving out a black sap. At this height, if the weather is fine, it is in the sun for about 3 hours a day,which I hadn't considered. Should I cover its crown with leaves perhaps? I have 2 others looking beautiful beneath it from the year before.
Any ideas please?
Iris

• Views: 1537
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 19th August 2009 21:45

Tree fern trouble

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Iris,
A bit of a mystery with that black sap. A few questions - is it planted directly in the ground? I dont think the three hours of sun would stress it out too much. How do you water it and how often does it get water? I'm wondering if there has been too much water on the crown - it's always best to water Dicksonias from the side. Also, it is (still) newly planted and still needs time to recover from that. But, that sap is bugging me...
Kathy C.

• Posted: Thu. 20th August 2009 18:36

Tree fern too slow unfurling

Reply from Iris Lando

Hi Kathy
Spoke to supplier today and I should try to give it more water in to the crown. It is sprinkled in to crown at night for 10 mins daily, unless we've had rain. I was advised instead twice a day and for longer irrespective of rain. There seems to be some difference of opinion on where to water, in to crown or on trunk, even with the experts. Black sap is no problem, caused by some marginal damage to the new fronds.
Thanks
Iris

• Posted: Thu. 20th August 2009 21:14