In progress indicator

White Beam flowering/disease

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Gavin Hodge

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Planted in May last year, St Andrews Fife.
Located in center of sunny garden in heavyish soil.
Lost leaves very early last autumn. Produced no flowers this spring though has grown in height. Many of leaves now (August 21) as shown in picture. Is this normal?
If not, any advice please?

White Beam flowering/disease

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 3110
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 22nd August 2009 16:11

Old age comes to us all!

Reply from Andrew Coggins

At this time of year it isn't uncommon for deciduous trees and shrubs to start suffering from all manner of leaf diseases. I am assuming they haven't been like it all year! As Autumn approaches the plant removes as much nutrient from the leaves as it can, which are soon to be discarded and as a result they do become more susceptible to leaf diseases. There is usually no need to worry, just clear up the leaves when they drop and compost.
Location doesn't sound to be an issue. The premature leaf drop last year was most likely to be caused by post planting stress, unless looked after diligently, particularly with regard to watering, stress is inevitable which shows itself in early leaf drop and failure to set flowers. Hopefully next spring you will be luckier with the flowering although it could still be poor as the tree is still establishing itself. Trees are a long term investment and I am sure this one like most others will reward amply in time. Best Wishes Andrew Pantiles Nurseries.

• Posted: Mon. 24th August 2009 06:47

White beam flowering/disease

Reply from Gavin Hodge

Thnx Andrew. Happy with grasses but no real experience with bigger plants. You have reassured me!
ciao4now
Gavin

• Posted: Mon. 24th August 2009 12:20