In progress indicator

tagetes tangerine gem

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from CD

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I bought these as annual plugs this year and they have been fantastic, non stop flowering if deadhead regularly and the feather foliage is a huge departure from the marigolds I'm used to. I looks beautiful with wispy grasses. Some of mine are doing quite well in part shade though the ones with more sun look fullest.

They are the only marigolds left alone by slugs and snails in my garden. The flowers aren't noticeably scented until you deadhead them, then your hands get a delicious tangy citrussy smell on them - which is perhaps what has deterred the slugs?

• Views: 1461
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 6th September 2009 18:52

tagetes tangerine gem

Reply from Georgie

Hi CD

Thanks for posting this. I was about to stop growing Tagetes as every year mine start off very promising only for the slugs and snails to ruin them over night. According to the plant directory here 'tangerine gem' is prone to slug/snail damage but if you've found otherwise I think it's worth giving them a try.

Georgie

• Posted: Mon. 7th September 2009 09:58

Tagetes Tangerine Gem

Reply from CD

Indeed, I was getting very jaded by the slug menace and had stopped growing marigolds from seed. It was a Garden Centre sale that tempted me to try some new varieties, most of which were the large flowered type. I was hoping that being a few months old they would fare better but the Tangerine Gem was the only one that did well. I planted them in July rather than June thinking they'd all have toughened up and hopefully not be so tempting for slugs & snails but the 'standard' marigolds were munched within a week or two while the Tangerine Gem is still doing brilliantly now in September. I'm going to try growing some from seed next year and see if they can still resist the slimey attacks when they are young. Failing that I'll definitely buy them later in the year as plugs. I'd love to hear if you have success with them too.

• Posted: Mon. 7th September 2009 11:15

Re: tagetes tangerine gem

Reply from CD

Update: I've had a few losses to slugs and snails this year, perhaps because the plants were younger and softer when they went out? About 2/3rds are fine but the ones they chose to munch were utterly devoured. Luckily I had extras and am keeping them to plant out in a few weeks when they are tougher which I hope will make a difference.

• Posted: Wed. 9th June 2010 11:31