In progress indicator

Beautiful red flower but what is it?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Stephen Middleton

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Unnamed lovely plant bought in sale. The leaf is the broad one in the background - can supply extra photo if needed. Help please!

Beautiful red plant but what?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1104
  • Replies: 9
  • Posted: Mon. 14th September 2009 10:32

Photo of leaf

Reply from Stephen Middleton

Leaf photo

Photo of leaf

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 14th September 2009 13:05

Salvia

Reply from Debbie Metrustry

Looks like Salvia vanhouttei or similar.

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/SalviVanho.php

• Posted: Mon. 14th September 2009 16:23

Savia vanhouttei

Reply from Nicola

Hi Debbie - Many thanks for the suggestion. It looks about right to me. Stephen, do you think that Debbie has it right? Here is a photo for you to compare it too.

We don't yet have this plant listed in Shoot, but if you want us to add it for you, please use this form:

Add a plant to Shoot plant database request

Kind regards,
Nicola

Savia vanhouttei

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 08:05

Possible ID

Nicola, I don't think that this is the plant. If you look at the leaves mine has red leaf veins and the vanhouttei has white leaf veins. My plant seems to have larger leaves as well and may be a bigger plant. It is 1.5 metres tall. It may be something related. I enclose a slightly better picture of the actual flowers.

Possible ID

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 10:42

Possible Salvia

Thanks for the suggestion. It may be a Salvia, but I don't think it is that one. This is a photo of a dragon fruit which is very similar to the type of structure that contained all the flowers before opening. I don't see any sign of that in the Salvia vanhouttei.

Possible Salvia

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 10:19

Involucrata

Reply from Laura Thomas

Hi Robin

fascinating post and as I love Salvias decided to try my detective skills. Then discovered that there are many sub-species of Salvia (some can only be grown in greenhouse) and some cross-breed leaving even more varieties. Check-out Robin's Salvias - he is an avid collector and brought us 'Hot Lips' amongst others

I wondered if yours was one of the Salvia Involucratas (see pic of S.I. Habsden though your pic looks more like Salvia involucrata 'Bethelii'). This sub-species seems to have that 'dragon fruit' bud at the terminus from which the flowers emerge. Hence its name Rosebud Sage

By the way do the leaves have any aroma when crushed?

Happy sleuthing

Laura

p.s. hope you have taken some cuttings as its a half-hardy and needs winter protection.

Involucrata

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 15:51

Got it!

This is definitely the flower. Now I'll have a look to see if I can trace the cultivar or whether it is the species. The colour is purple whereas a lot of the other pictures show a pink flower.

I have just crushed a leaf. I'm not good on smells, but I would say that it smells like a sweet sage.

Thanks a million.

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 17:35

All in a name

Reply from Laura Thomas

Hi Stephen

sorry for the misnomer in the last post - was saturated with Robin and his salvias!

Glad to have pinpointed your salvia - according to the gardening dictionary this sub-species is called involucrata because it means - 'Having an involucre, literally a wrapping or case. Here it refers to the bract around each flower' - hence that strange 'dragon fruit' (good description!) bud.

Let us know when you have identified which variety ? Mulberry Jam

Laura

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 18:52

Possible ID

Looked at lots of pics. None exactly looks the same, but the closest is the cultivar Hapsden. Thanks everyone for all your help.

• Posted: Wed. 16th September 2009 12:55