In progress indicator

sorbus vilmorinii

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Kathy R

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have three sorbus vilmorinii trees, planted 2 and 1/2 years ago. Two have developed what I think is canker. I would like advice on how to deal with this. Thank you.

• Views: 1452
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 13:07

Mystery disease

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Kathy
Could I have a little more info? What does the canker look like? Are the leaves affected? How has this affected the growth of the tree?
If shoots are swollen with gelatinous masses of orange spores on them, it could be rust, specficially conifer rust (I know it seems strange that a conifer rust would attack Sorbus, but it's true!). To treat, cut back infected branches/shoots to well behind swollen tissue. It could come back in the next few years even after doing this. Unfortunately, since your trees are probably in close proximity of another, if one has it, all will have it.
If leaves have brown and withered with entire shoots dying back in addition to having bark lesions and glistening white slime. If this sounds like the problem, it is proably fireblight. Cut out branches and burn. This might stop the spread. If it is fireblight, you might have to report it to DEFRA since fireblight is a UK notifiable disease and must be reported by law.
Let me know if either of these seem to match your tree. If not, and it is mainly the leaves that have blisters/pustules, I have some other possibilites for you.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 20:20

sorbus vilmorinii

Reply from Kathy R

Thanks for your reply. Here is a picture of one of the trees. The problem seems confined to the trunk. The leaves appear healthy and there is no sign of white slime.
Kathy Raynes

sorbus vilmorinii

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 16th September 2009 16:09

sorbus vilmorinii

Reply from Kathy R

Thanks for your reply. Here is a picture of one of the trees. The leaves seem ok, and there's no white slime. The growth of the trees does not appear to have been affected.
Kathy Raynes

sorbus vilmorinii

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 16th September 2009 17:30

Photo?

Reply from Nicola

Hi Kathy - if you have a digital image of this disease, why not add a photo here?

To add a photo:

1) Login and reply to Kathy C.'s post so that the images stay in the correct forum thread. This starts a new message.

2) Add a title and small comment and then tick the box above the message box which says 'Check the box to upload a new picture'.

3) Browse to find your image saved in your computer directory. Click it to select it.

4) Click submit to post your photo. You can upload as many as you like, but we can only offer one image per message right now. So for each you add you need to start a new message.

Hope this helps! Nicola

• Posted: Wed. 16th September 2009 08:41

Adding photos

Reply from Kathy R

Hi Nicola. Thanks for the information about adding photos to messages. Am so glad I discovered your website. Kathy

• Posted: Wed. 16th September 2009 16:14

Yeah!

Reply from Nicola

Hi Kathy - thanks for the kind words. Delighted you like the site! Do you mind if I add your comment to our Customer Testimonials page? We like to add nice comments to that page.

All the best, Nicola

• Posted: Wed. 16th September 2009 17:20

my comment

Reply from Kathy R

Hi Nicola. By all means please feel free to add my comment. Kathy R

• Posted: Thu. 17th September 2009 01:34