In progress indicator

Assistanace identifying plant please

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Spring Ford

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This plant appeared alongside a closed common-hallway located ivy plant which is in a small pot outside my top-floor door. It seems a pretty odd place for a new plant to find some soil.

It has grown to a stem length of about 2 feet but in a U shape, now with three stems over about a year or a bit more. Each stem comes out the pot, descends to just brush the floor and then ascends back to the height of the pot (about 1 foot). I guess it's pot-buddy vine may have made it descend from the pot at first.

A cutting I planted in a different pot has grown straight up so far.

Each stem has directly attached leaves with no branches.

The stems are not at all woody or fibrous and break very easily in the fingers even though they are perhaps 5mm in diameter. It's probably easier than breaking a crisp lettuce.

The entire plant is a bright deep green.

The leaves seem perhaps semi-succulent (I am not a plant expert) and are very smooth and perhaps a little waxy.

Each stem has opposite pairs of leaves with each pair 90 degrees round from the pair below or above.

Apparently the leaves are Ovate with Crenate edges.

If broken off nascent roots appear in a week or so (perhaps less) at the broken part AND at each leaf-stem joint. It seems to want to root very aggressively. I now notice roots appearing at a leaf-stem junction shown in one of the attached photos.

Any broken off parts, even a leaf, do not dry out for weeks.

It has been the same colour for about a year.

It may well be strangling the same-pot ivy as that ivy is not doing as well, by a big margin, as the one in the other pot.

Assistanace identifying plant please

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 166
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 24th November 2019 01:00

Re: Assistanace identifying plant please

Reply from Nicola

Hi Spring, a reply from our social media "The leaf looks like a Kalanchoes ( not sure of spelling)"

Some other replies are:

"Plectranthus verticillatus ?? maybe.."
"Looks like a trailing Kalanchoe."

Hope this helps? Thanks Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 24th November 2019 08:29

Reply from Spring Ford

Neither of

"Plectranthus verticillatus ?? maybe.."
"Looks like a trailing Kalanchoe."

are a direct hit. I'll attach a couple more photos in case that helps to trigger a memory.

Re: Assistanace identifying plant pleaseRe: Assistanace identifying plant please

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 24th November 2019 14:23

Reply from Spring Ford

I have re-assessed the offered ID's and now agree that it may well be

Plectranthus verticillatus or possibly

Plectranthus Australis

It is not at all easy to compare plants as they can change so much throught the year - as you will all know.

Mine has not flowered yet either.

• Posted: Sun. 24th November 2019 14:54