In progress indicator

Short lived coreopsis

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from CD

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I found out after buying this that 'Limerock Ruby' is a short lived coreopsis. That may have put me off buying had I known in advance but the plant has been an intense burst of colour all summer and I think it's worth it even if it only lasts a few years.

RHS say it needs protecting from winter wet. I wondered if putting a plastic collar around the base would work, to shed the worst of the rain from the base so that the further out roots can get moisture but the main ball isn't sitting in it in very cold weather. Any other suggestions welcome. Will probably fleece it during especially cold periods and add a dry mulch.

• Views: 1463
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 28th September 2009 11:36

Coreopsis 'Limerock Ruby' overwinter

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, CD,
I have had a long love affair with Coreopsis verticillata and have had the opportunity to grow them in two countries - on the east coast of the US (in New Jersey) and, more recently, my garden in London. The winters in NJ are much colder than those in London and I never once mulched my Coreopsis. Winters there are somewhat wet, but London winters are wetter. I did see that the Coreopsis in London, though they survived wet winters, didn't like them and were sparse and slow to recover after particularly wet ones. I never used a plastic collar so not sure what to advise for that. What I did do that worked well was add grit or gravel to the base of the plant about 10cm thick and then worked it into the soil. This helped drainage. Also, if they are planted in a spot that gets pretty wet in winter, you can plant them on a slight mound. Let me know what you decide to do and how the plants fair over the winter.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 29th September 2009 19:25

Thanks

Reply from CD

Thanks for your input Kathy, I'll definitely add extra grit and mound the plant as you suggest. I'm gardening 500ft above sea level by a windy Scottish hill so when it's wet and cold it's really really wet and cold, but hopefully a mixture of techniques will keep this beauty in good condition for another gorgeous display next year. I'll try and remember to let you know how it goes,
Cal D

• Posted: Tue. 29th September 2009 21:23

Re: Short lived coreopsis

Reply from CD

I forgot to update in Spring. Sadly, after the severe winter with deep snow until April on the high ground here, we lost the lovely coreopsis.Almost inevitable given the amount of sleet and snow, it was all we could do to save the bigger shrubs which were squashed on their sides each night with the fresh fall. Anything smaller had to fend for itself. Will opt for 'Zagreb' next time as it has survived, though the ruby colour will be much missed.

• Posted: Wed. 29th September 2010 08:54