In progress indicator

Foliage Plants

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from M Mitchell

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi,

I've recently taken an interest in plants and gardening since I'm now studying biology at school and plant biology interests me.

I went to Homebase today and bought three foliage plants, but I didn't realise until I came home that they hadn't been named on the pot and I'd like to learn what they are? If anybody could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Foliage Plants

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 983
  • Replies: 10
  • Posted: Mon. 28th September 2009 18:05

Mystery plants

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, M,
The third photo is definitely a Codiaeum variegatum var. pictum - common nameCroton . Not sure what cultivar (variety) as there are numerous on the market. Maybe 'Bravo'. The other ones are a bit tricky - could be a number of things but I would need a closer shot of the leaves. Will you be able to post some more photos with close-ups?

Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 29th September 2009 18:58

RE: Mystery Plants

Reply from M Mitchell

Hi,

Thank you for the reply! I can only upload one image at a time, and I'm not sure which part of the plant is more important in classifying it, so I'll upload a few.

I looked up the Croton, and I'm surprised a plant with such fascinating uses and history would be given such an impersonal label as 'Foliage Plant' lol. Thank you very much for identifying it!!

Mat

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 30th September 2009 14:46

Reply from M Mitchell

This one also has brown/ flaky tips on some of its leaves, that looks dead. May I ask if there's anything I can do to prevent that in future, if you know of a way?? Thanks,

Mat

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 30th September 2009 14:49

Brown tips

Reply from Laura Thomas

I do not have a great deal of luck or experience with house plants but I know that brown tips show that the humidity is too low. Try misting around the plant especially when central heating comes on and make sure plant soil is constantly moist as opposed to ranging from wet to dry - which is how I tend to care for my houseplants :(

• Posted: Sat. 3rd October 2009 11:17

Good Luck Tree?

Reply from Laura Thomas

I have done a bit of research and wonder if this is a Cordyline Hawaiian Ti - check here

• Posted: Sat. 3rd October 2009 11:44

RE: Good Luck Tree?

Reply from M Mitchell

Hey! Thank you very much, yes they are the same plant (Thank you Google Images)!

I looked up her care needs and humidity was pretty stressed on. I think I'll put some pebbles at the base also? I heard that works.

Thanks again,

Mat

• Posted: Sun. 4th October 2009 14:51

Reply from M Mitchell

Now for the first plant...

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 30th September 2009 14:52

Reply from M Mitchell

The roots kind of look like tarantula legs.. if that helps any? Lol

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 30th September 2009 14:55

Reply from M Mitchell

And this is the leaf, the last of the pictures! I hope that helps.

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 30th September 2009 14:58

Re: RE: Mystery Plants

Reply from Christopher Bond

This looks like a form of Davallia fern, albeit with much bigger fronds than usual. It's also known as Rabbit's Foot Fern. The tarantula legs are rhizomes I seem to remember... that or aerial roots. Keep it cool and moist and it should be pretty tough. My mum had one by the sink for about 12 years :)

P.S this is my dad's account lol, I'm just snooping...

• Posted: Wed. 15th August 2012 20:00