In progress indicator

New to gardening- Yellowing leaves on Lavatera

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Marion Young

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have 2 lavatera which are 2 years old, and 3 bought this early summer. The new ones have grown very well, except this week some of the leaves have turned yellow, and are dropping off. The foliage on the older ones dont look as healthy, and some of the leaves are also turning yellow. I thought lavateras retained their foliage, but maybe this is just a natural consequence of approaching Autumn. Any advice please?

• Views: 8449
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sat. 15th September 2007 08:35

Enter a title

Reply from Veneda Harris

The lavatera or tree mallow is only semi evergreen. It is also best to prune it back this time of year, ideally a little earlier, to rejuvenate and to keep it bushy. I find with these they only last as good specimens for 2-3 years and then are best replaced.They are also more susceptible as they get older to disease like rust.
They are very easy to propagate from cuttings just pop some non flowering shoots in some sandy soil.

• Posted: Tue. 18th September 2007 12:06

Lavatera yellow leaves

Reply from Marion Young

Thank you Veneda for your reply which I have just read. I have actually already taken cuttings (for the first time) and just hope they survive the winter.

• Posted: Wed. 19th September 2007 14:05

Pruning lavatera

Reply from Andrew Radgick

I would leave your pruning/cutting back until early spring for two reasons. Firstly, if you cut it back now and we get an early frost, the frost will get in the cuts and cause dieback. Secondly, if we have a hard winter, you may also get some dieback. Wait until early spring and then cut it within a few inches of the ground - I know it looks drastic but it will make 6-8 feet of growth by this time next year.

• Posted: Wed. 19th September 2007 19:33

Pruning lavatera

Reply from Marion Young

Enter a message

• Posted: Thu. 20th September 2007 07:38

Pruning Lavatera

Reply from Marion Young

Thanks Andrew for your message. I had just read the Shoot advice re pruning which said March/April, so your message confirmed that this was when I should cut them back. Glad I didnt do it yesterday!!!

• Posted: Thu. 20th September 2007 07:41