In progress indicator

Blooming Begonias

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Laura Thomas

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Have to say that these begonias are a great colour addition to the garden from Spring to early Autumn (as long as they are fed fairly often)

This one has been flowering since early May and as can be seen from the pic is still blooming well in October.

I grow it with Spider Plant as both need to be brought in when the cold weather really sets in. I just let it die back, then remove the tuber from the soil and keep it dry over winter. As soon as the first sign of life appears I pot it up again.This is its second year of flowering.

I note in the description that these begonias are often grown as annuals yet it is so easy to overwinter the tuber til the following year. Is there a short life-span on the tubers - does anyone know?

Blooming Begonias

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 939
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd October 2009 10:16

Lifespan of begonia tubers

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Laura,
Though my experience with storing Begonis tubers is limited, I have read about the same tubers being stored and replanted for 10 years! I think the key is proper prep and storage place as well as keeping them happy and fed in growth. Do you dust your tubers with sulphur before you store them?
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 6th October 2009 19:17

Long Life

Reply from Laura Thomas

I do not dust with Sulphur, just pop them in a covered but ventilated pot on kitchin windowsill - after they have fully died back and dried.

Look forward to a long life with my begonias then!
And thanks as usual Kathy for your helpful advice.

Laura

• Posted: Tue. 6th October 2009 20:50

Re: Blooming Begonias

Reply from CAROL O'BRIEN

Hi
I also would like some advice regarding begonias.Hi Shoot
I was thinking about the coming season of colour for 2011. Last year I purchased a large amount of begonias and have kept most of the tubers. When is the right time to pot these up? should they be kept progressing indoors untill after the first frosts? When ideally should they be planted outside?
Hope you can help as I am still a novice although I have a feeling that no matter how long someone has been gardening you carry on learning.
Hope you can help
Carol O'Brien

• Posted: Tue. 11th January 2011 10:52