In progress indicator

Hits and Misses!

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Wendy

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi folks
Well the year started out optimistically with lots of seeds sown and germinated. Successes include beetroot, tomatoes, sweetcorn and many others but I grew potatoes in sacks this year and can't say I'll bother again. I think I got no more a dozen potatoes! I'll stick to growing them in the ground in future.

I also grew Nicotiana 'Fragrant Cloud' and got carried away with the amount of seedlings (somewhere around the 50 mark were grown)! However, they weren't wasted as each year, local gardens open up to the public in aid of a charity so they were donated to the worthy cause.

Would love to hear about anyone elses hits and misses?

All the best Wendy.

PS: Spent a fortune this afternoon on seeds for next year!!

• Views: 943
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 4th October 2009 19:11

Hits and misses

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

My year started off with a miss, all my autumn sown garlic and onions got the rot and I lost them all - but I am going to give it another go this year, with lots of leaf mould added to the bed to improve drainage. The other miss was my peas but my fault this time as I simply didn't water them enough, I shall have to do better next time! Hits were all types of bean, courgettes and cherry tomatoes. I am also happy with erigeron which I grew from seed, it has been in flower for months and months and is so cheery! I am now looking forward to the arrival of my greenhouse. Wendy, I have to say I love growing potatoes in bags, in the two years I have grown them in beds they have been attacked by wireworms and slugs and those that escaped were spiked by my daughter when she dug them up! All the best, Marissa

• Posted: Tue. 6th October 2009 10:59

Hits and Misses

Reply from Wendy

Hi Marissa
It was great to hear about your year. If it helps, I started my garlic and onions in jiffy pellets in a cold frame and then planted them out in late spring. This kept them from getting an early soaking. Good luck with your greenhouse.
Best wishes, Wendy

• Posted: Fri. 9th October 2009 09:45

Hits and Misses

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Thanks for that suggestion Wendy. I have heard the jiffy idea before and will give it a think. Cheers, Marissa

• Posted: Sat. 17th October 2009 17:29