In progress indicator

How do I correct a neglected tree

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Valerie

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a Hoopsii that is very mishaped due to overcrowding . I have cleared the area around it but it is very unbalanced .Is it possible to prune or cut it back,and if so when is the best time,I would hate to lose it.It is about 5 ft tall. I hope you can help, many thanks Val

• Views: 1199
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 14th October 2009 12:47

Pruning Picea

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Val,
As a general rule, conifers, including Picea, should rarely be pruned - they don't always respond well to pruning - but sometimes it must be done. Though most conifers can be pruned any time of year, the best time for most is late winter or early spring, right before the flush of new growth begins. Never prune Picea pungens and its cultivars in warm, wet weather as this is when it is most susceptible to diseases that attack the species. One of the reasons why hard pruning conifers is so tricky is that most of them have very few latent buds in old wood. Good news is Picea has some dormant buds in old wood. First rule of pruning is plan twice, prune once - you can't put a cut limb back! Never remove more than one-third of the plant - any more will stress if to the point that it is unlikely to recover from pruning. When you cut, use clean, sterile tools and cut to a bud, side branch or main stem. If you are cutting to a main stem, cut outside the raised branch collar bit, not flush to the main stem. The branch collar has vital, naturally-occuring, growth and healing chemicals that you plant will need to heal the pruning wound. Once the cut is made, DO NOT apply pruning paint to the wound - they actually delay healing and can trap harmful organisms under the paint. Hope this has been of some use and please let me know how you get on in early spring!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Wed. 14th October 2009 18:07

Added photo

Reply from Valerie

Hi Kathy ,thanks for your reply .I have added a photo of my very sad Hoopsii,perhaps it is beyond saving.I will do what you suggest in spring and hope for the best,Valerie

Added photo

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 20th October 2009 13:06