In progress indicator

Chrysanthemums

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Martin Gale (windygale)

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have some chrysanthemums that i want to keep over winter, can someone give me some advise please, do i hard prune then cover roots with mulch, and place them in my shed, or do i take cutting and grow them over winter,
thanks, martin

• Views: 1602
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 25th October 2009 13:05

Preparing Chrysanthemum for winter

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Martin,
Don't want to give misleading advice so would you let me know what type/species you have?
Thanks!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 27th October 2009 18:45

chrysanthemums

Reply from Martin Gale (windygale)

Hi Kathy,I'm not sure what type they are as my mum bought them and gave them to me when they were going over, so i cut them back and feed them and got another flowering, but as you can see (sorry for bad pictiure) they are nice flowers and last a long time, she got the plants for mothers day this year, they were pinched out to make a small compact plant, but after my hard pruning they grow about three foot tall and a good bushy plant, one for a garden focal point next year, with Dahilas,and nerines,
thanks, sorry for the delay,
martin

chrysanthemums

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 1st November 2009 19:40

Overwintering Chrysanthemums

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Martin,
No worries about the delay. What to do to overwinter depends on where you live. If you live in an area prone to hard frosts/freezing conditions, you should first cut back all flowers stems to about 20cm then lift the crowns and store over winter in loamless compost in a frost-free place. In areas with light frost, leave then were they are and mulch with a deep, dry mulch. Then cut back in spring (leaving dead stems will add further cold protection). If you do lift them, make sure they don't dry out completely over the winter. Though dormant, they will still need some moisture. Hope this has been of some help.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 3rd November 2009 19:59

Overwintering Chrysanthemums

Reply from Martin Gale (windygale)

Hi Kathy, your a godsend, ill do that this weekend, i live in Wiltshire so the frost isn't to bad, so a hard prune and loads of mulch will be the plan
Thank again
martin

• Posted: Wed. 4th November 2009 20:35