In progress indicator

fargesia murielae bamboo - 'simba'

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Brian mc

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I intend to use this species in containers for the purpose of screening from the neighbours on my deck. If I require this screen to cover a 5 metre strech then how many containers will i have to plant up?

• Views: 1545
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 16th November 2009 14:57

'Simba' in containers

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Brian,
F. murielae 'Simba' is a great choice for using in containers - it is not invasive and doesn't get too tall. The eventual spread is 1 to 1.5 metres. I guess it really depends on how large of a container you wish to use and how large the plants are when you purchase them. It is usually best to buy containers that are about 4cm in diameter larger than the rootball of the plant you want to put in it so if you buy fairly small bamboo plants, this means you would have the cost and labour of repotting over the coming years until the plants reach the desired size. Then, it is a matter of keeping the growth in check with thinning and root pruning. To save some time and money, you could buy the largest pot you will need, plant the bamboo in them, but it will take a while for them to fill in the pot. I think the smallest size you would eventually want to stop with (meaning the final size pot for each bamboo) is no less than, say, a pot with a 40 or 50cm diameter. You can get larger, of course, but that will be expensive.
So, with a 50cm diameter pot with a 5 metre stretch, you would need 9-10 containers (depending upon the thickness of the wall of each pot). Larger pots than that, you will need less. Do you have a container in mind?
Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 16th November 2009 23:48