In progress indicator

yellow orange leaves

In progress indicator
Full size image

Photo from rebecca wingar

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This picture is of a hosta planted this year, it was healthy until the past few months when the leaves and stems turned a yellow orange colour, starting with the edges of the leaves, spreading over all the leaf and down the stem. This has also happened on my sedum, astilbe, pulsatilla, lilies and euphorbia. Can anyone identify it and tell me how to stop it?

yellow orange leaves

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 617
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 16th November 2009 21:51

Trouble with yellowing plants

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, again Rebecca,
SInce all of these plants are effected, and some are deciduous, others evergreen, and it has been happening for a few months now, I am now wondering about when/how/where they were planted and what the after care has been since they were planted. Some plants you have listed like moist shade (hosta), others need full sun with good drainage (sedum) and others need full sun with moist soil (lilies, for the most part). Are they in the right place? Has there been adequate rainfall where you live? Has there been excessive rainfall where you live? Any other photos you can post?
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 17th November 2009 00:31

more info on yellowing plants

Reply from rebecca wingar

Hi again Kathy, the planted were mainly planted this spring, they were planted by a professional landscape gardener, who is a friend and i would trust him. Going by the things you have listed above everything seems to be in the right place. I live in northern ireland, there wasnt much rain over the summer but i watered carefully, and theres been plenty of rain over the past few months. Ive attached another pic of the hosta, so you can see the changes since I took the last pic 4 days ago, its a lot yellower than it looks in the picture, its also a reverse of the other pic. It was very healthy and thriving until these marks started to appear. Im really concerned that this will continue affecting more plants and that i will have to replace everything. Thanks again for your help.

more info on yellowing plants

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 17th November 2009 12:10

Yellow/orange plants

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, again, Rebecca,
Based on what you told me, it could be that the trouble could be too much water - how often did you water in summer? Too much rainfall could be the culprit in the last few months. The only plant I am concerned about is the Euphorbia - the Hosta and Sedum can be and should be cut back for winter since they look bad. If winter is mild, the Sedum will probably start to send out little rosettes of leaves at the base. Now, having said all that, if you see the problem starting early or in the middle of the growing season next year, you might want to test your soil - especially the ph - maybe you have a crazy pH level.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Thu. 19th November 2009 21:34

yellow/orange plants

Reply from rebecca wingar

Hi again Kathy, strangely enough my mum had mentioned that hostas do not like to much water. We have had a lot of rain recently so maybe that is the problem. It seems to be wilting a lot today, if it is too much water do you think it will recover. The sedum is already showing little rosettes of of leaves at the bottom so ill assume its ok. im suspicious that the euphorbia may be affected by a fungus, but i took off the affected leaves and it seems to be better for now.

Thanks again
Rebecca

• Posted: Thu. 19th November 2009 22:53