In progress indicator

A barren strip

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Val Barclay

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Although fairly complicated, I had a cattery built in my garden about 1 and a half metres away from neighbour's 2 metre high fence 10 years ago. Now, with no cats, I have changed it into a greenhouse (staging/heating/lighting), but would like to grow some plants between the side of it and the fence. This is about 3 metres long, and with very little light either side. Have you any ideas for any plants which would do well in such a restrictive area? I have dug in compost to improve soil but don't know what else to do. Help!
Posted: Tue 16th February 18:55

• Views: 1019
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 16th February 2010 20:56

Woodland area?

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Val,

The conditions you describe sound like a great opportunity to create a little area of woodland planting - plants that are found naturally in woodlands are more than happy in shaded, secluded areas.

Initial suggestions to achieve this could be:

• Digitalis (foxgloves)
• Bluebells
• Galanthus (snowdrops)
• Ferns
• Hellebores
• Tiarella (foam flower)
• Heuchera

With perhaps some shade loving evergreen shrubs to pad the area out a bit and add winter interest, such as:

• Pittosporum
• Euonymous
• Skimmia
• Viburnum
• Nandina domestica

You do right to prepare the soil by adding organic matter. When you are planting the plants, make sure they are watered in thoroughly, and then mulch with a thick layer of well rotted compost. You'll need to do this once a year after this, to ensure moisture and nutrient levels in the soil are sufficient for the plants.

I hope this helps. Woodland planting can be some of the most beautiful - do let us know how you get on!

Katy

• Posted: Thu. 18th February 2010 19:12

A barren strip to spring delight ?

Reply from Anna Taylor

Hi Val,
I think Katy has given you a lovely response and just the type of planting that I would have suggested. The advantage to this scheme is that it would look really lovely in the later winter and spring, especially when the green house will be a little bare and you will be working in it preparing for the summer.
I would also suggest a climber that could go on to the back fence for additional interest perhaps a Clematis cirrhosa that has Hawthorn like leaves with lovely little nodding bell flowers in the winter.
Hope this helps.

Anna Taylor
http://www.landscaper.org.uk
http://www.woodhouselandscape.co.uk

• Posted: Thu. 25th February 2010 19:33

A Barren strip

Reply from Val Barclay

Thanks so much Katy and Anna for your ideas and suggestions of plants. I will certainly sit down and begin to design the site on paper with some really good suggestions from both of you. Thanks again

• Posted: Thu. 25th February 2010 21:14