In progress indicator

Yew tree sapling

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Fi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have been given a yew tree sapling, about 3' tall. I adore yew and would like to make a feature in my garden. Can you advise me on the best conditions, how large/deep the roots will become, and the best time to clip it (I don't want a giant churchyard tree!). My garden is clay soil, north facing.
Thank you.

• Views: 1397
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 24th February 2010 13:59

Yew

Reply from Anna Taylor

I love Yew too and this will be a lovely feature. As you know, the roots and tree can grow enormous but if you keep it trimmed and shapped, both will be easily controlled !
Yews are best pruned in the spring (March onwards after worst of frosts) and again in the late summer, August / September before the frosts.
North facing is fine for a Yew as it thrives in shade but clay is not ideal soil as it is poor draining. Yew hates sitting in water ! Do not dig a trench for the plant, but just a small hole just big enough for the rootball. Add lots of organic matter as a mulch when you have back filled and trodden down the soil. The worms will take down the material to the roots and help open up the soil structure to drain better. Do not water the Yew unless you have had really dry conditions and only then water the plant. Only water the newly planted Yew is the soil will dry out completely.
Hope this helps !
Anna Taylor
http://www.landscaper.org.uk
http://www.woodhouselandscape.co.uk

• Posted: Thu. 25th February 2010 21:23

Dear Anna

Reply from Fi

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question - it is much appreciated. It also seems I am just in time to plant it out later this month! Hopefully I will have a photo to share in a couple of year's time.
F

• Posted: Sat. 27th February 2010 13:52