In progress indicator

My Allotment

In progress indicator
Full size image

Photo from Andrea and Kay

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Finally got the dream of an allotment I always wanted right by the pond. I have always wanted this area and finally its mine. Patience paid off, its only little but its what I wanted.

My Allotment

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 950
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 24th February 2010 19:36

My allotment

Reply from Valerie Munro

Hi Andrea and Kay

My husband has an allotment, and don't tell him that I am saying this to you, but he is a very busy man, and really doesn't have much time to spare and so is always trying to do things at speed.

I really do believe that the absolute secret of a good allotment is that the time that you spend in preparing before you plant anything. Any time spent doing this will be well worth the effort. You say that your allotment 'is only little' - you might change your mind on this one as you start to dig it over and get rid of unwanted vegetation!

If the thought of getting the whole plot into production immediately is too daunting, then cover over half of it with weighted down carpet, plastic sheeting or cardboard and work with the other half. When you are ready, you can then concentrate on this part.

There are some fantastic allotment guidance books around. I can thoroughly recommend one that's been written by four allotment gardeners (do-ers rather than thinkers) who have been getting their collective hands dirty for more than 75 years.

It's called The RHS Allotment Handbook, and although cover priced at £16.99, I got my copy through Amazon for £11.99.

Good luck!
Auntie Planty

• Posted: Sun. 28th February 2010 13:41

Allotment

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi, congratulations! I was very lucky and got my allotment within weeks of asking and it is on my doorstep. I got it just before the growing season was about to start and had loads of rubbish and weeds to clear like yourselves. I am just starting my third year and it is still not completely developed but I can see the improvement year on year - my highlights were potatoes, tomatoes beans and strawberries last year with many disappointments too - raspberries, peas and sweetcorn all suffering from a combination of late sowing or lack of water. My advice would be don't be too ambitious, enjoy your successes and expect (and learn from) your failures. All the best, look forward to seeing your progress.
Marissa

• Posted: Sun. 28th February 2010 17:19