In progress indicator

Planting suggestions for front flower bed

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mark Jelley

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, The flower bed in the foreground of the picture is south facing on a medium soil and I am looking for suggestions for planting. It is roughly 6 meters wide by a meter deep with good quality soil to a depth of around 18 inches. My previous attempts have stemmed from spur of the moment purchases at the garden centre which have never quite lived up to my expectations.

I am looking for lots of colour lasting from spring through to autumn from a range of plants. I enjoy watering so the bed drying out shouldn't be an issue. Currently I have 1 yellow and 2 white roses growing in the bed which I am quite fond of but would also move, the other plants are less important to me and can be moved easily.

I have been looking to plant some alstroemeria somewhere in my garden and was wondering if I could plant these here? If so what sort of additional planting would compliment them? If not what alternatives would create a bed with lots of colour? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Planting suggestions for front flower bed

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1007
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 25th February 2010 12:32

Sunny border

Reply from Anna Taylor

Hi there,
I love your wall and a sunny border of bright colourful planting would be great here.
I would start with a colour scheme - perhaps hot pinks, oranges and purples. Alstromeria would be good but it can flop over and doesn't flower for long. If you love it, plant it as a 'specimin' in the border, surrounded by a good long flowering scheme such as Ecinacea purpurea, pervoskia, helenium terracotta and salvia x sylvestis. I would add a lime coloured plant like alchemillia mollis as an edging plant or a grass like Stipa tenuissima would be lovely swaying in the breeze between the flowers. Be bold and plant in groups and only plant 5 different plants to get a real wow factor.
Hope this helps
Anna Taylor
http://www.landscaper.org.uk
http://www.woodhouselandscape.co.uk

• Posted: Thu. 25th February 2010 21:33

Perennials for flowere beds

Reply from douglas

Beware Alstromeiria as it can often spread everywhere and quickly - once spread , very difficult to remove. You can really take your pick from Heleniums, Asters (especially Frikarti Monch), Nepeta (Six Hills Giant - another spreader but easily controlled),

Phlox/Penstemmons and a number of perennial grasses including New Zealand sedge/Miscanthus chinensis and others.
A current favourite is Astrantia Major /Ruby wedding/Shaggy - there are others but these will offer long flowering periods.

• Posted: Wed. 10th March 2010 21:42

Thanks for the replies

Reply from Mark Jelley

Hi Anna and Douglas, thank you both for your replies, they have given me some ideas which I hadn't considered before. I am going to visit some of our local nurseries and see if they can help in sourcing the plants I want. I just want it to warm up now!

• Posted: Thu. 11th March 2010 08:00