In progress indicator

Chafer Grubs

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Gwendoline

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Does anyone have any real advise how to get rid of these things they have ruined our lawns front and back an area of around 400 Sq metres

• Views: 1327
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 4th March 2010 13:31

Chafer grubs

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Gwendoline,

Sorry to hear about your chafer grub problem. These can be a real nuisance. What you can do at this time of year is to roll your lawn heavily (which will crush them). Lawn rollers can be hired for the day at reasonable expense, so this is definitely something I would recommend trying (although not advisable if your soil is already very compacted).

Before summer you should repair any damaged areas with grass seed or by laying new turf - ideally done around April.

Come summer, if the grubs are still persisting you could try the natural pest control 'heterorhabditis megidis'. This can be watered into the lawn in summer, and should kill them off by infecting them with a bacterial disease.

Healthy, well maintained lawns are least susceptible to chafer grubs, so it's important to keep the lawn fed and watered in summer, and to scarify and aerate it in autumn. This will keep your lawn healthy and hopefully minimise the chances of future infestations!

I hope you manage to beat them this year. Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Thu. 4th March 2010 16:54

Dealing with Chafer Grubs

Reply from ALISTAIR OLVER

Dear Gwendoline

The appearance of chafer grubs in your lawn is a sign, that the soil the grass is growing in, is not ideal. It has become impoverished of nutrients over a number of years.

Yes, you could treat the soil with a biological control,'heterorhabditis megidis', but this may only control this years generations, and then having re-seeded or layed new turfs, the grubs would re-occur and you would have waisted all that time and money.

Firstly, you need to establish the current levels of soil nutrients with a comprehensive soil test. You can send a sample of soil to me at 'The Fertile Earth Consultancy', and for £35 I am able to do the necessary tests. I would then be able to advise you on how best to restore the fertility of your soil, so that you have a healthy lawn in the future.

My details are listed under 'professionals', sub-category 'Consultants'.

I hope this is of some help and maybe I will hear from you.

Alistair Olver

• Posted: Thu. 4th March 2010 22:22