In progress indicator

Penstemon Plugs - Planting Out

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Dawn Thornton

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi

Last Autumn I bought some Penstemon Plugs. I have overwintered them in the greenhouse, potting them on. They are now quite big and strong. Can I plant them out yet or do I need to wait until after that last frost please?

Thanks
Dawn

• Views: 2089
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 19th March 2010 17:56

When to plant Penstemons

Reply from ALISTAIR OLVER

Hi Dawn,

It is still too earlier to plant Penstemons out. Wait until the end of April, when the frosts have passed; even the more hardier perennials are just beginning to get going.

Hope this helps!

from 'A Helping Hand'

• Posted: Sat. 20th March 2010 08:00

Thank you

Reply from Dawn Thornton

Hi

Thank you, just what I needed to know. Thank you very much for taking the time to help.

All the best
Dawn

• Posted: Sat. 20th March 2010 09:19

Additional Info on Penstemons

Reply from ALISTAIR OLVER

Hi again Dawn

Just thought I would add, I think the variety you have listed is one of the hardier ones, however, always leave the older foliage on through the winter, this helps to protect the base of the plant from frosts. Once you start to see new growth appear at the base in the spring, this is the time to prune away the old foliage just above the new growth. If you can, take some cuttings during late summer as an insurance policy against the mother plant from dying during winter.

from 'A Helping Hand'

• Posted: Sun. 21st March 2010 00:45

Thank you again

Reply from Dawn Thornton

Hi

Thanks. On a couple of the plants the old foliage is starting to look a bit rough and I was getting a bit concerned. Some of them already have new shoots at the base so this information is invaluable, thank you.

All the best
Dawn

• Posted: Mon. 22nd March 2010 09:21