In progress indicator

Crimson bottlebrush 'Splendens' (Callistemon citrinus 'Splendens'

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from William Stewart

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have 2 Bottlebrush plants that look very tatty, although they do have new buds, will this plant come back to it's former glory...
William

• Views: 1377
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 29th March 2010 13:46

crimson bottlebrush 'Splendens'

Reply from Valerie Munro

These are wonderful plants that are perhaps not as tough as they look! We have just come through one of the coldest winters in 30 years, and if your garden is anything like mine, the plants have taken a hammering.

I think that I would leave both of them un-pruned, to minimise their level of stress. But do make sure that you feed them with a slow release granular fertilizer (Westland Feed All is my favourite as the NPK ratios are perfect, or Top Rose if you cannot find the former). I think this is a better feeding programme than using a liquid fertilizer.

I am wondering if your idea of 'tatty' is because your plants are still hanging onto the their faded flowering stems? These woody knobbles are in fact seed capsules, and IMHO add to the overall interest of the plant. By leaving these on, the stem grows on beyond the inflorescence to produce further stem, leaf and, eventually, flowers.

Good luck, and here's hoping that your plants will thrill you with some fantastic flowering very soon!

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.com

• Posted: Tue. 30th March 2010 09:48

Helpful?

Reply from Nicola

Hi William - just wondering if Valerie's answer has helped you? It is always nice to get some feedback if you have a moment:-) Thanks very much Nicola

• Posted: Thu. 1st April 2010 08:32

Bottlebrush

Reply from William Stewart

Hi Nicola,
At this stage Info is Info, I'll take it on board, with regards to my comments of looking Tatty, the stems appear dry and woody the leaves are dry and muudy brown, I was not sure after last seasons flowering as to whether I should have cut back or not, so I left it, As there is a pressence of budding I'm happy there is still life in the plant, I will of course look at the feeding Info provided by Valerie, Hopefull this season I will get some photos on my Profile, It is a huge learning curve for me as I am not green fingered, I have loads of seeds I am waiting for this season, Plants, Flowers and Veg, Hopefully something will grow.?? ;-), I am also trying to grow a "Jack pine" from seed, "in my fridge at present, all in the vain hope of creating a bonsia, to fit with the new garden later this year. any advice therefore is welcome.

William

• Posted: Thu. 1st April 2010 10:36

Re: Bottlebrush

Reply from Katherine Simmonds

Hi William - my bottlebrush looks exactly the same, but it is alive. I had wrapped it in fleece during the worst of the winter but it still was damaged. I dug it up from the border where it had been and put it in a pot in a more sheltered spot, fed it and am now hoping for a revival. The winter was defintely hard - I have lost a couple of other things as well. Fingers crossed they will recover and flourish

• Posted: Sat. 27th April 2013 11:03