In progress indicator

Herbs growing

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Angela Rahe-Blomfield

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

What's the best way of growing herbs?

• Views: 1435
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Sun. 16th September 2007 09:03

Growing herbs

Reply from Fi

I've found most herbs like an open sunny spot. I created a small raised area, surrounded by bricks and wood (you could use anything like that), planted Rosemary in the centre, then chives, sage, marjoram, thyme, parsley and mint round the outside, and then covered it with a few inches of gravel. They are doing really well - except the mint has grown into the middle and the sage is trying to take over! But I don't mind, it still looks lovely especially when the sage, tyme and rosemary flower. Lesson is - leave plenty of room for each plant - the rosemary will get very big, but you can cut it back to one stem and train it as a standard.

• Posted: Wed. 19th September 2007 14:06

Herbs in pots

Reply from Cris

Try keeping mint in a pot and then plunging it into the ground to keep it from spreading all over the place.

Herbs do well in window boxes, places on a sunny window sill. Keep the soil moist, but well drained.

• Posted: Fri. 21st September 2007 23:36

Thanks

Reply from Angela Rahe-Blomfield

Thank you! I'll give it a try with your tips and see what happens.

• Posted: Fri. 5th October 2007 20:46

Herbs growing

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Herbs that grow in Mediterranean climates (Sage, Rosemary, Thyme etc) generally like sharp drainage, so if your soil is a little on the heavy side, incorporate some grit when planting. This attribute also makes them good candidates for container planting, as they will be a little more tolerant of drought and are evergreen so good for year round interest.

• Posted: Tue. 8th January 2008 13:53

Re: Herbs growing

Reply from christine s

no matter how hard i try i cannot seem to grow herbs, i have made a little plot outside, not started there yet, but wanting to,
ive tried in garden tubs, indoors, no idea what im doing wrong.
please any ideas what to do , where to start,
this is a picture where i want to plant them, these are not herbs, its bare now...wanting to grow basil - sweet Geneoverse,) parsley - moss curled, ) corriander - for leaf,) spinach - picasso f1,) thyme,) and lettuce - salad mix bowl..

Re: Herbs growing (22/01/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 22nd January 2011 22:02

Re: Re: Herbs growing

Reply from Sevvy Hooks

Hi Christine,

I don't grow basil outdoors, but in a big pot on a sunny windowsill. Generally, if I sow in March, the pot lasts through until October, although I do sow about 3-4 pots of different basil varieties.

Parsley can take a long time to germinate and I've found that the moss-curled variety does well out of full sun. Ditto lettuces and leaves - both salad and spinach.

Coriander I find tricky because it can run to seed very quickly so I tend to grow it in shallow trays and use it very young. With thyme, I agree with Marissa above about the soil needing to be well-drained - I've found thyme grows best in my garden in the cracks between the patio stones!

• Posted: Mon. 24th January 2011 11:42

Re: Re: Re: Herbs growing

Reply from christine s

Ill give it all a go again , as I'm wanting to plant outside
But plant in pots , then bury potshalf way in plot where I'm wanting them to
Grow. With it being still cold and frosty . Would it be adviseable
Made to cover with a clotche or something . I've plenty grave
But I want all info first really before I start again..
Much appreciated .

• Posted: Mon. 24th January 2011 12:24