In progress indicator

Bush in front garden

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Lisa Jackson

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hello! Please can you help me to identify this bush? It was very overgrown when I first moved in so I have trimmed some.of it, but am wondering if I ought to also trim the dry parts at the top to allow it to grow properly. I did wonder if it was a lavender, largely due to the tall stems. Any help would be much appreciated!

Bush in front gardenBush in front gardenBush in front garden

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 156
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 30th March 2021 11:25

Re: Bush in front garden

Reply from Nicola

Hi Lisa, are the foliage and flower heads aromatic? If you rub them between your fingers do they have a scent?

It looks dead .. or almost dead form of 'Lavender'.

Hope that helps?

• Posted: Tue. 30th March 2021 13:10

Reply from Simon Hickmott

It's Lavender alright, and a perfectly healthy one. It's just gone the way lavenders do if left to their own devices, which is to grow rangy and unkempt and full of dead bits. It's usual to clip lavender hard back after flowering in late summer to keep it trim, but the time will come when its youthful good looks will flee (often after just three years, no matter what you do with it) and that's the time to replant. Me, I think lavender is a fairly poor garden plant, needs a lot of work for it to look even half-decent.

• Posted: Tue. 30th March 2021 19:00

Reply from Lisa Jackson

Thank you for your replies! Having smelled it it's now very clearly a lavender! I'm going to have a go at cutting it back for the time being at least. Appreciate your advice!

• Posted: Wed. 31st March 2021 11:49