In progress indicator

agapanthus

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from BRIAN DEACOCK

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

A friend has asked me to split his agapanthus which he has had for two years growing in a14" container, on removing it there was no soil but a complete mass of roots. My question is can I safely remove some of the roots and what is the best way of splitting it.

• Views: 805
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 17th April 2010 12:50

Diving Agapanthus

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Brian,
I am not surprised the Agapanthus had so much root in the container. They have a very vigorous root system and as a rule, like to be pot-bound! The perfect container plant! There are two ways to divide - with two forks back to back in the centre of the clump and then just pull apart. Other way is to cut the root ball/mass with a knife. The former way can (somewhat) ensure that roots may come away still intact but it does cause tearing - a wound that is harder to heal or may not heal at all. You would want to tidy up any shredded root ends. The latter method makes clean cuts on the roots which will heal better but is more aggressive. With Agapanthus, I don't think it matters which method you use since it is such a tough plant to kill! Keep the newly potted plants watered over the summer and don't be surprised if they are a little slow to establish - with agapanthus, though, it shouldn't take long!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 19th April 2010 17:27

agapanthus

Reply from BRIAN DEACOCK

Hi Cathy
Thanks for your helpful reply, it seems that it is indestructible, so I am confident that I can't kill it off!! So I will still have a friend after all.
Brian D

• Posted: Tue. 20th April 2010 16:08