In progress indicator

Red dots on garlic leaves

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Rebecca

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I've just noticed raised red dots on my garlic leaves. So far it is only on a few garlic plants in pots on my patio, and the garlic plants in the border appear to be OK.

I applied lawn sand to the lawn about a week ago, so I'm wondering if this could be damage from that? The prevailing breeze although light was towards the patio.

The redness is most concentrated in the inner base of the leaves, and then scattered over the rest of the leaf. I can provide pics if that would help.

Thanks,
Rebecca

• Views: 2578
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 19th April 2010 09:01

Leek rust?

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Rebecca,

It sounds very much like leek rust (which also affects other members of the allium family), but yes please upload pictures so we can have a better idea.

If it is leek rust, for now I would remove and burn the infected leaves (don't compost them). You might get a reduced crop from these plants but otherwise they should be fine. To avoid it next year, dispose of the soil in the pots and replace with fresh stuff if you want to continue growing anything from the allium family in there. Or simply grow something else if that's easier!

Look forward to seeing your pics to double check this.

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Tue. 20th April 2010 11:56

Looks like this

Reply from Rebecca

This *isn't* my garlic - this is a picture from Google. However, they're claiming it is leek rust and it looks exactly like the marks on my own plants.

Katy - it sounds like you've nailed it.

Will the bulbs still be OK to eat if I remove the damaged leaves?

Also, I have more garlic growing elsewhere in my garden. What can I do to prevent the rust from spreading to them too?

Looks like this

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 20th April 2010 12:38

Leek rust

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Rebecca,

The bulbs should be fine to eat, and if you've caught it early enough and manage to remove all the infected material, you should hopefully be able to prevent it from spreading. Make sure you wash your hands and any equipment after handling the infected parts, and remember to dispose of them properly by burning or removing from the site in a sealed bag.

To reduce the chances of your other plants becoming affected there are a few things you can do:

• Ensure ventilation is adequate by keeping plants well spaced.
• Avoid excessive nitrogen being added, as this will encourage the lush young growth particularly susceptible to rust. This means using an organic compost rather than a synthetic fertilzer when feeding, as this releases nitrogen gradually over time.
• Keep potassium levels up by adding something like a seaweed dressing.

Hope this helps! Glad we were able to help and keep us posted with how you get on.

Katy

• Posted: Tue. 20th April 2010 13:56