In progress indicator

Linaria " Little Sweeties "

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from William Stewart

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have growing in my greenhouse some Linaria "Little Sweetie " Seeds, I grew these from scratch, however I am concerned about whether I should have considered pricking out these tiny things, the problem I see is that even as well established shoots they seem far too delicate to touch and the leaves are so tiny that when you attempt to remove any the whole stem collapses, So do I just leave them to continue to grow or not, I have managed to repot some plugs but not sure if I should just simply plant them in the garden now, Please help...?

• Views: 815
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 4th May 2010 10:11

Seedling care

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, William,
You can go ahead and remove some of the seedlings if they are too crowded. Yes, you are sacrificing some of those little guys, but this is a typical thing to do. When it comes to planting out, first you must be sure the seedlings have their true leaves. The first leaves to emerge from a seed are called cotyledons - these are the seed leaves that the little plant had in the seed and have emerged and grown as the seed sprouted. They supply the first food from chlorophyll for the plant. As the seedlings grow, true leaves, which are a different shape and size from the seed leaves, begin to grow. I wouldn't plant out until you have a couple set of true leaves unless, of course, the seedlings are getting too stretched out (leggy). If the seedlings are still small but have a set or two of true leaves, you can prick them out and repot until they are ready to go outdoors. Use a set of tweezers (preferably plastic) to prick out rather than fingers. You should be able to find these in a garden center. Also, consider using a pencil point to gently remove the seedling from the compost. . Not sure where you live but in most areas, even at this time of year, make sure you harden your seedlings before planting out. This means taking the little ones outside, usually against a house wall or other somewhat warm, sheltered area and let then get used to outside conditions. It is pretty much aclimating them to outside life. After 5 days or so, plant them in their final position.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 4th May 2010 18:39

Linaria

Reply from William Stewart

Thanks for that info Cathy, Will look into it.

• Posted: Thu. 6th May 2010 12:11