In progress indicator

Vitis Cognitae

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Brian Dryburgh

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Have just noticed brown raised 'nodules' on some of this year's leaves on my Vitis Cognitae - see attached photo. (This young leaf measures about 8cm across.) The plant is well established and is about 4 years years old. Have checked the Shoot website for specific pests and diseases for this plant, but none of them appears to fit the bill. Grateful for any ideas. Regards, Brian.

Vitis Cognitae

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1343
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 9th May 2010 11:36

Vitis coignetiae

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Brian,

This is a tricky one. The 'nodules' look to me like they may be galls caused by some sort of leaf mite - possibly in this case a grape leaf blister might. If this is the case then the damage to the plant is not usually serious, and the remedy is to simply remove damaged leaves.

This is no more than an educated guess though. It's very difficult to know what the problem is for definite. Are you a member of the RHS? If so they offer a free pest and disease identification service, which can be very handy in ambiguous situations such as this. http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help-advice/RHS-Advisory-Service/How-to-send-samples-for-identification-and-examina

I do hope this helps.

Katy

• Posted: Tue. 11th May 2010 15:01