OK
In progress indicator

How to Best Support our new Tatarian Maple ??

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Richard Luby

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hello,
Last June we purchased a Tatarian Maple tree and planted it in our Denver CO yard when our son was born. I would like to make sure that I am properly caring for this tree; however, I am having a hard time finding good instructions for doing so... (watering schedule/amount, fertilizer (what kind/ how often), etc.

If anyone is knowledgeable about this type of tree, and can help me --I would greatly appreciate it! The tree currently stands about 10-12ft tall -- and is exposed to full sun.

Thank you!
Richard

• Views: 939
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 10th May 2010 19:20

Acer tataricum

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Richard,

Acer tataricum or the amur maple is fairly easy to grow, and is happy in full sun so yours should be fine! There are various schools of thought regarding feeding trees, but it is felt by many that it is not necessary to feed a newly planted tree, as you want it to develop and send out a strong root system, which it will not need to do if nutrients are provided for it. Once more established, if you do wish to feed it use a slow release general purpose garden fertilizer once a year in spring.

For the first two years after planting ensure that the tree is well watered in the dry months, soaking deeply once a week when required. Leave to nature in the wetter autumn and winter months, it's important not to over water.

Aside from watering the best thing you can do for your tree is to mulch heavily around the roots with organic matter. This will keep the roots cool, retain moisture, and suppress weeds which may impede healthy growth of the tree by competing for water and nutrients.

Hope this helps.

Katy

• Posted: Tue. 11th May 2010 15:59

Hi Katy,

Reply from Richard Luby

Thank you for your reply, that is very helpful information!

All the best,
Richard

• Posted: Tue. 11th May 2010 23:52