In progress indicator

Identifying a Japanese Cherry

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from John Morgan

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Near to where I live there is an avenue of Cherry trees which look superb in flower and also exhibit brilliant autumn colour.
I suspect that they are Prunus 'Sunset Boulevard' but not sure.
I would like to add one or two of this cultivar in my garden if I can establish what it actually is

Identifying a Japanese CherryIdentifying a Japanese CherryIdentifying a Japanese CherryIdentifying a Japanese CherryIdentifying a Japanese CherryIdentifying a Japanese Cherry

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 191
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sat. 8th May 2021 11:54

Re: Identifying a Japanese Cherry

Reply from Nicola

Hi John, a few things. Where do you live? We have members around the world. Knowing where you are located might help others to identify for you.

Also, your image didn't upload - most likely as the file was too large. Please reduce the image file to less than 4BM and try again? You can reply to me or yourself to keep in the same thread.

Thanks Nicola

• Posted: Sat. 8th May 2021 12:58

Re: Re: Identifying a Japanese Cherry

Reply from John Morgan

I live in Wellington,Shropshire.

• Posted: Sat. 8th May 2021 15:45

Re: Re: Re: Identifying a Japanese Cherry

Reply from Nicola

Hi John, another 2 votes for Prunus Tai-haku from our social media follower too.

"Pretty sure it’s Prunus ‘Tai Haku’, otherwise known as great white cherry."

Hope that helps?

• Posted: Mon. 10th May 2021 10:05

Reply from Phil Hawkins

Almost certainly this is a Tai Haku cherry, the largest single-flowered cherry. A variety with a fascinating history if you look it up. Once thought to be extinct in Japan, virtually all Tai Hakus in the world are descended from a single tree found in Sussex about 1922.

• Posted: Mon. 10th May 2021 09:59

Reply from John Morgan

Thanks for the comments so far.
The owner of a Nursery I have obtained some of my trees from also suggested that it might be Prunus 'Tai Haku'.
I agree most of the characteristics are there.
The one thing that concerns me is that all Tai Haku trees I have seen are much broader and less tall than the trees I am trying to identify.
These trees are considerably more ovoid and upright in form.
This is why I have been leaning towards them being Prunus 'Sunset Boulevard' although I have never actually seen a known example of this species.
I have never thought of Tai Haku as being a particularly suitable tree for an avenue.

• Posted: Mon. 10th May 2021 17:51