In progress indicator

What plant is this and how can I get rid of it

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Rob Jones

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This reed/ grass has started appearing in the river next to our garden and appears to be taking over.

What plant is this and how can I get rid of it

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 113
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 18th June 2021 10:29

Re: What plant is this and how can I get rid of it

Reply from Simon Hickmott

It's Pendulous Sedge. Given half a chance, it will seed everywhere. Incredibly, it is often planted in gardens deliberately, or at least encouraged. But this is all it does, produce these green tassels, and then later the foliage dies back from the tips, in response to which the exasperated nurturer of this bothersome tussock will cut it back to leave a forlorn stump. It at least doesn't produce a persistent tap root or anything so it's easier to dig out than you might suppose, and I encourage you (and everyone else, please) to do so.

• Posted: Fri. 18th June 2021 17:47

Re: What plant is this and how can I get rid of it

Reply from pauline

It's quite often seen as clumps in municipal flower beds in France. It gives a bit of height and fills gaps between groups of other plants and, as it is so cheap to propagate, it doesn't drain the finances too much. Then, at the end of the summer it can be dug up and composted to enrich the flower beds next year. VoilĂ ! Saving money and saving the planet all at once! Every plant has its uses.

• Posted: Mon. 21st June 2021 08:12