In progress indicator

Mystery Hosta

In progress indicator
Full size image

Photo from Tracey James

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

The owner of the nursery was as baffled as I was. Has anyone ever see this before?

Mystery Hosta

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 691
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 17th May 2010 21:29

!!!!

Reply from Kathy C

Hi! Never saw anything like it! But, I have heard of it happening. Sometimes, there will be leaves at the top of the flower stalk that resemble the 'parent' plant, but I wouldn't expect there to be so many leaves. What is the name on the label?
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 18th May 2010 17:28

Mystery Hosta

Reply from Tracey James

Hi Kathy

It is Hosta 'First Frost'. It seems as if a completely new hosta has sprung up above the flower. I will be interested to see what happens next, particularly next year. Thanks for your interest. Are you an obsessive gardener like me?

• Posted: Tue. 18th May 2010 22:06

Quite obsessive!

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Tracey,
Yes, I would say I am obsessive (I even have a diploma in horticulture!). Just don't have the time to do much gardening/hort as I have two small children at home (two girls - one nearly 3, the other 5 months). So, when I get a minute, I do enjoy chatting about plants in these forums!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Wed. 19th May 2010 21:55

Re: Mystery Hosta

Reply from Tracey James

Hi Kathy

My two children are now 17 and 22 so I am finally having some time to myself. However, I have a full time job, love my garden and just for good measure I am studying RHS hort level II and a diploma in garden design! I am 48 and determined to be a garden designer eventually. You should get your little three year old to start helping you! It's never too young to start gardening. I am going to Chelsea for the first time on Friday and haven't been this excited since I was a child myself.

Tracey

• Posted: Mon. 24th May 2010 21:13