In progress indicator

mulberry tree

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from kay summerfield

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

will a mulberry thrive in a very large container?

• Views: 1107
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Wed. 26th May 2010 10:00

Re: mulberry tree

Reply from Laura Thomas

Hi Kay - I have one in a container! Still a young 'un (3 yrs old) but doing very well. I guess when it is much more mature, it will have to be planted somewhere. Trees do get thirsty though so don't let it dry out.
Meanwhile here is a forum link to my postings on this topic and advice from members
Fruit Trees in Pots

hope this helps

Laura

• Posted: Wed. 26th May 2010 14:50

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Kay,
Any tree can be grown in a pot. However, the size of the pot, the growth rate of the tree and the mature height of the tree will dictate how much work you have to do to keep it happy. M. nigra grows at a good rate and will eventually get large so, in that case, you need to be prepared to prune fairly regulary to keep the height in check, and root prune every 2-3 years to make sure the roots don't wrap around inside the pot. To root prune, you need to lift the plant from the pot, cleanly cut away no more than 1/3 of the root ball and replant firmly. Keep it watered regularly after pruning.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Wed. 26th May 2010 19:14

Reply from kay summerfield

hank you,Laura, that was very usefull.

• Posted: Sun. 30th May 2010 19:45

Re: Re: mulberry tree

Reply from Laura Thomas

Glad to help - Kathy C gives very good advice above so I guess we'll be root pruning and/or buying bigger and bigger containers to manage our Mulberry trees. Still that's the future - for now mine is still young enough to share a pot with 'Hot Lips' sage - pic to follow!

• Posted: Mon. 31st May 2010 09:32

Re: Re: mulberry tree

Reply from Laura Thomas

bit of a postscript but found an article in Daily Telegraph which advises:
A mulberry tree may be grown in a large container but will eventually outgrow the available root space. When planting, use a soil-based compost and position the tree so that the finished level is 7cm-10cm (3in-4in) below the top of the container. This will allow for an annual 2cm-3cm (1in) layer of fresh compost.

How's yours doing Kay?

Laura

• Posted: Mon. 7th June 2010 12:21

Reply from kay summerfield

I haven't even got one yet!!
Finding the right one is a problem, if at all mature they have been trained as single stem trees, and I want a more bushy look, multiple stems if possible. In my mind I see a lovely "bonsai" effect in years to come.So I need to see what I'm being offered at nurseries, and local ones currently have nothing that fits the bill.
I live in Hampshire, so if anyone has any suggestions about sources, I would be very grateful

• Posted: Tue. 8th June 2010 09:16