In progress indicator

Which small hedge would you choose for this space

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mrs Holst

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi

Just returned from Wyevale who suggested 4 options for a hedge- Choisya White Dazzler, Hebe Sapphire, Escallonia Red, and Viburnum davidii.

Choisya and Hebe appeal the most. Our small front yard gets sun from 1pm. Which out of Choisya White Dazzler and Hebe Sapphire would you choose and why?

Images of small front yard attached to give you an idea of the space (or lack of).

Thanks for your help.

Which small hedge would you choose for this space (28/05/2010)Which small hedge would you choose for this space (28/05/2010)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1322
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 28th May 2010 12:23

Re: Which small hedge would you choose for this space

Reply from Katy Elton

Both are lovely choices. The choisya (http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/choisya-dewitteana-white-dazzler?referrer=%2Fplant%2Fselect%2Fresults%3F) tends to have a slightly longer flowering period, the flowers are quite strongly scented, it grows slightly larger, and is very hardy. The hebe (http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/hebe-sapphire?referrer=%2Fplant%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dhebe+sapphire) is more interesting in terms of colours, it bears lilac purple flowers (as opposed to the choisya’s simple white), and the foliage changes colour throughout the year, becoming deep almost purple in winter, with young growth having a reddish tinge in spring. However it is ever so slightly less hardy than the choisya, a bit more borderline, so you do run more of a risk of it being damaged by snow and frost in the winter.

You know your area better than anyone – do you think the increased hardiness would be beneficial? If you’re in a milder area where you don’t think frost damage would be a problem then it’s a simple choice of personal preference. If you’re somewhere that gets hit hard in the winter then I would go for the choisya.

If you do go for the choisya, but find that you want to still add a bit of colour, why not think about introducing a climber up the front of the house? I always find wisteria absolutely stunning for adding a subtle splash of colour in spring/summer, or maybe boston ivy for some striking autumnal fiery hues.

Anyway let us know what you decide and how you get on. Don’t forget to add whatever you choose to your plant list, this will make sure you get care instruction reminders throughout the year.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Katy

• Posted: Fri. 28th May 2010 14:52

Re: Re: Which small hedge would you choose for this space

Reply from Mrs Holst

Hi Katy

Thanks for your response, really appreciate it.

I went for Choisya in the end but am filled with a bit of regret - I don't think it's going to be tall enough, but its contemporary style is definitely us. I just wish it grew a bit taller than 0.9. I think we need to source something that grows to 1.5 mtrs at least.

Based on your info I don't think Hebe will be right for our area, we had a huge amount of snow Christmas just gone, although not the norm, probably not worth the risk.

Unfortunately climbers are not for us, whoever owned the house prior to us had it covered and it destroyed the chimney, brickwork etc and it cost us a fair penny to fix the damage.

Back to the drawing board I think.

• Posted: Fri. 28th May 2010 16:01