In progress indicator

Growth rate of agapanthus

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mark Lees

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Dear Shoot Last month, I planted an Agapanthus along with some other plants. The other plants are thriving but the agapanthus appears to be dormant? It is simply a mass of green leaves. I know that the soil is superb, having transported it from my Father in Laws, a champion Dahlia grower. When should the Agapanthus start to show signs of growth and when will it start to bud?

• Views: 2601
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 1st June 2010 07:12

Re: Growth rate of agapanthus

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Mark,

Agapanthus are summer flowering, so don’t panic just yet! They wouldn’t be expected to be in flower for about another month.
They’re beautiful plants, would be great for you to upload photos to show us when they come into bloom!

Hope this helps.

Katy

• Posted: Tue. 1st June 2010 17:10

Re: Re: Growth rate of agapanthus

Reply from Mark Lees

Hi Katy

Thank you for your very kind advice

Mark

• Posted: Wed. 2nd June 2010 22:46

Re: Growth rate of agapanthus

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Mark,
Good words of advice from Katy! Also, sometimes, plants that are newly transplanted will need time to recover from that 'trauma'. I am impressed the others are doing so well, in fact. Some plants won't flower the first year after being moved because they are expending so much energy in recuperation. Keep in mind, if the leaves look healthy, you don't really have to worry. If it doesn't flower well this year, feed it once next spring and see what happens. Also, Agapanthus LOVES to have constricted roots so once it puts on more root growth, it might get much happier having them a little more crowded.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 1st June 2010 19:02

Re: Re: Growth rate of agapanthus

Reply from Mark Lees

Hi Kathy

Thank you very much for your kind words of advice

Mark

• Posted: Wed. 2nd June 2010 22:47