In progress indicator

Foliage colour

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from TRACEY KENT

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hello

The Purple Empeor Sedum's is see in the nurseries have lovely drak purple foliage but mine, which I have had for about two years has pinkish grey foliage. Why is this and how can I get the lovely dark purple colour back?

Thanks

• Views: 698
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sat. 5th June 2010 22:07

Re: Foliage colour

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Tracey,

What a shame! What are the conditions like where you have your plant? Sedum ‘Purple Emperor’ http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/sedum-purple-emperor’ likes full sun, and well drained soil. If it’s in the shade, or in heavy waterlogged soil this may be compromising the colour of your foliage.

Does this sound like it could be a factor? Do you maybe have any photos you could upload to give us a better idea?

Remember to add the plant to your ‘plants I have’ list to receive regular care instructions.

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Tue. 8th June 2010 14:42

Re: Re: Foliage colour

Reply from TRACEY KENT

Hello Katy

Thanks for the advice. I will move the plant to a sunnier position and make sure it is well drained and see if that works. If it doesn't I'll put it in the compost bin and buy a nice new plant from the garden centre.

Regards
Tracey

• Posted: Tue. 8th June 2010 19:36

Re: Re: Re: Foliage colour

Reply from Norman Read

Could the pH of the soil have a bearing? They like neutral to alkaline soil.

• Posted: Tue. 31st March 2015 12:19

Re: Foliage colour

Reply from CD

I have the same problem, my plant was purple when I bought it but when it came up the next year it was a grey green like a normal sedum. I moved it to a sunnier spot but 4 years on it has never gone back to purple. I'm going to try splitting it and put the parts in several aspects and soils next year to see if anything makes a difference, will update here if I have any success.

• Posted: Thu. 2nd September 2010 20:04