In progress indicator

Hardy or not?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jane

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have just bought one of these for a container against a west facing wall and the ticket says that it is hardy outdoors. However I have just read on this site that it should be overwintered in colder areas. I live in the south of england. If this is to be overwintered then it is not the plant I need for the positon. Any help please?

• Views: 1254
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Thu. 10th June 2010 12:37

Re: Hardy or not?

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Jane,

Trachelospermum jasminoides tends to be half hardy, which means it’s okay outside in warmer areas, but in areas prone to severe frosts it’s better grown in a conservatory or greenhouse.

Whereabouts are you? Do you get many severe frosts?

Katy

• Posted: Fri. 11th June 2010 11:10

Re: Re: Hardy or not?

Reply from Jane

Hi

i am in Southampton in the south of england and the plant will be against a west facing wall and quite sheltered although as the last winter has proven we can get quite severe weather. If this is forecast do you think that I could just wrap the plant in fleece?

• Posted: Fri. 11th June 2010 18:31

Re: Re: Re: Hardy or not?

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Jane,

Definitely worth a try. Also mulch around the roots with a thick layer of organic matter at the beginning of winter, this will add extra protection.

Good luck! I hope you are successful.
Katy

• Posted: Tue. 15th June 2010 12:45

Reply from Denise Bennett

I have one in my tiny London garden. It survived the awful winter. It has been here for almost 5 years but has never flowered. Some of the leaves are bright red. Maybe it has some mineral deficiencies.I keep hoping that one day it will take off.

• Posted: Sat. 26th June 2010 23:47

Reply from Jude Cohen-Phillips

When I googled to see why my TJ had red leaves I discovered Canadians grow them, they think they're deciduous, that the leaves go red and fall in winter, and they can survive to -15c - so they seem to be hardy, but not if you want them to be evergreen!

Mine have survived the last three winters, with some leaf loss, but particularly bits where the cold wind catches them, with the same plant having clearly red bits with leaves that eventually go brown and fall off if left, and large sections with happily green leaves that survive.

Jude

• Posted: Sun. 6th March 2011 11:27

Reply from Anita Sullivan

I have two, one variegated and one solid green, and both have been hardy down to -7 in my coastal Sussex garden and evergreen. My mum has one in heavy clay on an exposed site (not against a wall) and it's been hardy and evergreen down to -8... and thriving boisterously!

• Posted: Sun. 18th August 2013 19:55

Reply from Anita Sullivan

I have two, one variegated and one solid green, and both have been hardy down to -7 in my coastal Sussex garden and evergreen. My mum has one in heavy clay on an exposed site (not against a wall) and it's been hardy and evergreen down to -8... and thriving boisterously!

• Posted: Sun. 18th August 2013 19:55