In progress indicator

Soil/Roots

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Steve

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I've recently bought a 2 mtr plant (June) in flower. I've planted it next to a post of a pagoda. Due the 'concrete' around this post I had to plant it 6 inches away from the actual post; the soil/roots are covered by gravel/loose stones - Are these plants OK with the roots all covered like this? The flowers have started to die off - will they return this summer?

Soil/Roots (25/06/2010)Soil/Roots (25/06/2010)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 897
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 25th June 2010 14:52

Re: Soil/Roots

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Steve,

The gravel mulch should be fine. What you need to do is water it freely, and feed once a month with a liquid fertiliser during the growing season.

Whereabouts are you located? Trachelospermum jasminoides tends to be only half-hardy and in colder climates requires overwintering indoors, or supporting by the heat of a sheltered wall. If you’re somewhere warm however you should be fine growing it up a pergola.

Remember to add it to your ‘plants I have’ list for regular care instructions and information. http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/trachelospermum-jasminoides

Hope this helps!

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Tue. 29th June 2010 14:55

Re: Re: Soil/Roots

Reply from Steve

Many thanks for that Katy. Would you know if the dead flowers should be removed and if so how? I cut a few off tonight and white sap oozed from the stem!?

Steve

• Posted: Thu. 1st July 2010 20:32

Re: Re: Re: Soil/Roots

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Steve,

Yes always a good idea to deadhead flowers to encourage more flowering. Just snip off with some secateurs, but be sure to wear gloves as the milky sap you mention can irritate some people.

Good luck!
Katy

• Posted: Fri. 2nd July 2010 15:40