OK
In progress indicator

Australian bottlebrush (Callistemon 'Red Clusters')

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from paula hewitt

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I bought an established bush a year ago and it made for a splendid show of flowers (brushes), although i have fed it with liquid seaweed the flowering has been very poor this year. There is new growth but aside from that it has been dissapointing, am I doing something wrong? It is in a full sun position.

Thanks

Paula

• Views: 1286
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 10th August 2008 16:02

Callistemon questions

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Paula
There could be a couple of things going on here. Did you prune after flowering last year? That can help to encourage flowers. Also, is the soil moist? Callistemon prefer moist soil but can tolerate dry conditions once established. Since you recently planted yours, you will probably want to water regularly (maybe once a week in dry spells) this year. Lastly, it is best to fertilise Callistemon after flowering, and once a year at that - not sure about your cultivar but many Callistemon do not tolerate too much phosphorus - a key element in most fertilisers. So, give it a prune when flowers are finished (probably are already?), hold off on the feed and keep it moist but not waterlogged for the rest of the summer. Hopefully, this will help. Let me know how you get on. Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 12th August 2008 13:17

Thanks Kathy

Reply from paula hewitt

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the advice, i will keep you posted on it. Here's hoping that next year it will perform :)

• Posted: Tue. 12th August 2008 22:51

Australian bottle brush

Reply from Lorna Hazeltine

Hi Kathy and Paula. I have only recently become a member of shoot, I am gradually working my way through the forums. Your posts interest me. My nephew visits Australia each year to visit his sons and grandsons, this year he brought me back a variety of seeds, one being Callistemon viminalis. I am going to give them a try, has anyone grown them from seed? I have 8 different lots of seeds. I am also going to try Kangaroo Paw and Waratah (the pictures look pretty!!)

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 11:51