In progress indicator

Roses sending up tall canes

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Karen Potter

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Several of my roses, mainly the English shrub roses, have sent up one or two tall canes per plant, often with flower buds at the very top. Do I need to cut these back to the base or wait until I do my annual prune? Does anyone know why this is happening. Apart from this, all looking pretty healthy and all flowering well.

• Views: 917
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd July 2010 12:31

Re: Roses sending up tall canes

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Karen,

It’s thought that this unusual growth can be brought on by a heat wave. I would try cutting it down by about a third now, then remove to ground level when you do your annual prune.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Katy

• Posted: Tue. 6th July 2010 13:48

Re: Re: Roses sending up tall canes

Reply from Karen Potter

Thanks Katy - Most helpful.

Kind regards,

Karen

• Posted: Tue. 6th July 2010 14:39

Re: Roses sending up tall canes

Reply from Jan Helle

It could be that the "tall canes" are suckers and should be removed as they waken the plant. Did they grow very quickly? Are they fat? Did they stay red for a long time? Are they quite soft?

If so then you need to remove them at the base and, if possible not by cutting but by knocking it out.

• Posted: Wed. 11th August 2010 18:11

Re: Re: Roses sending up tall canes

Reply from Karen Potter

Hi Jan - it's a yes to all of your questions. I have cut they down by about a third when I first posted this forum. When you say that I need to remove them at the base by knocking it out - how do I do this ??

Do you know of any way to avoid suckers in the future?

• Posted: Thu. 12th August 2010 07:30

Re: Re: Re: Roses sending up tall canes

Reply from Jan Helle

Well, I'm very subtle and have been known to take a hammer to the offending item! Sometimes though you can just snap them off with your hands. I think it was Anna Pavord in 'The Independent' who said it was best not to cut them off...

I'm afraid I don't know of any way of stopping suckers, but obviously they are easier to get rid of when they're small so it means looking out for them. I believe that some roses are more prone then others.

Good luck!

• Posted: Thu. 12th August 2010 17:09