OK
In progress indicator

Leaf Scorch - is my Acer getting too much sun?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Charlotte Ovens

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Like in the previous post, I am new to gardening, and this Acer was one of the first plants I bought. It's in pride of place in my garden, in a location that gets full sun from around 9am to noon/1pm. After that, it's in full shade. The edges of the leaves have become very scorched, and it's concerning me. There is new growth, which started showing in early July, so it's obviously strong enough to produce new shoots, and I do water it very well (perhaps too much? Although it drains well). It is in a pot, so I can move it to a permanently shaded location, but have no 'dappled' shade in my garden. Will it survive where it is, or should I move it? Do I need to remove the affected leaves, or will they recover/drop off on their own? Thanks in advance.

• Views: 2065
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 12th July 2010 11:30

Re: Leaf Scorch - is my Acer getting too much sun?

Reply from Kathy C

HI, Charlotte,
In most cases, though unsightly, leaf scorch does no permanent damage to the tree. It is a common problem with A. palmatum and morning sun is most likely the cause. Could also be that it is getting too much water. Wait for the surface to dry between waterings.
Kathy C

• Posted: Fri. 16th July 2010 16:06