In progress indicator

Rescue of memorial magnolia stellata

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from rachel

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I wonder if you can help me, I have just rescued my granparents 19 yr old memorial magnolia stellata from my mothers house as she is moving...long story short, the magnolia has not flowered or had leaves this year at all.
The small stem branches are very brittle and snap when bent but there does seem to be some life at the base as there are new green shoots at the bottom of the plant.
I think I found the cause to be a serious infestation of ants in the soil and root ball so washed the ants out with water till all the soil was removed along with the ants...I know this was probably a mistake now ive looked at magnolias not liking being moved so washing its roots is probably not a good move :-(
Have I killed it? or could it be ok again...It was in serious trouble anyway so i am really trying to save it as it had my grandparents ashes scattered in the soil....some of which I have saved and treated with ant spray to replace once the tree is healthy again (with luck), can you give me any advice as this tree mean alot to our family, Many thanks Rachel

• Views: 983
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 13th July 2010 22:16

Re: Rescue of memorial magnolia stellata

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Rachel,
At this point, it is a matter of wait and see. Cut off the dead, brittle branches, make sure it is firmly planted in the ground, and keep it watered in dry periods. Don't feed yet but when you see signs of growth, feed then. Green shoots at the base of the tree is a good sign. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Please let me know how things turn out.
Kathy C

• Posted: Fri. 16th July 2010 16:17

Re: Re: Rescue of memorial magnolia stellata

Reply from rachel

Hi Kathy, Thanks for your reply I do hope the green shoots are a good sign n that the magnolia is not too far gone, I am a little cautious of trimming though as ive read that they hate being pruned too....Im guessing that the dead bits are dead anyway so may as well be cut off to allow for possible new growth though. any more advice n a few prayers always welcome :-) thanks again. Rachel

• Posted: Sat. 24th July 2010 15:04