In progress indicator

Corylus avellana Contorta

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Dawn Haynes

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have recently purchased a Corylus avellana Contorta. It is about 3ft tall and I have it in a large container on my patio. I have noticed that the leaves are starting to go brown. Also the plant is covered in ants. I think there may be an ants nest in the container, although I did repot it and didn't notice any then. What is the best way to get rid of the ants without killing the plant and also are the leaves going brown anything to do with the ants. Thank you.

• Views: 935
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 20th July 2010 09:34

Re: Corylus avellana Contorta

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Dawn,

Ants tend to be present if there is a food source for them, which on plants is usually honeydew, which is the sticky excretion of sap sucking insects such as aphids. Can you see any evidence of aphids on closer inspection? If so I’d recommend spraying the plant with soapy water to get rid of them.

The presence of aphids may fit in with the unhealthy leaves you are seeing, although this could also be as a result of conditions. Have you been feeding and watering the tree regularly? Plants in containers need more attention than those planted in the ground, so it’s important to do this regularly.

Hope this helps. Don’t forget to add to your ‘plants I have’ list to receive regular care updates http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/corylus-avellana-contorta?referrer=%2Fplant%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DCorylus+avellana+Contorta%26amp%3Bsearch_submit_x%3D50%26amp%3Bsearch_submit_y%3D17

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Thu. 22nd July 2010 14:32