In progress indicator

What's wrong with my anemones?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Sarah Dee

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have put some anemone honorine jobert in my garden (north facing but with some sun, sandy loam - very alkaline). They are really struggling and one has died. They are just about producing new leaves but are dying at the edges as fast as they produce new growth and are gradually reducing in size. One is doing Ok though not brilliantly and hasn't produced any flowers yet. What's the problem?

• Views: 844
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 25th July 2010 19:34

Re: What's wrong with my anemones?

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Sarah,
It sounds like they are in the right place - especially since they like alkaline soil. Usually when plants die so soon after planting, it is usually down to 1) planting error 2) too little/too much water or, though not so frequently as #1 and #2, some pest has discovered it and is happily munching away. Check to see that the plants are firmly in the ground. Gently gather the plant base and pull. If it gives at all, there are probably air pockets around the roots. If so, replant firmly, making sure there is as much root to soil contact as possible. How much water is it getting. Newly planted plants need more water than established ones. Conversely, too much could also cause the problems you describe. Finally, give the plants a thorough inspection to make sure nothing is munching/attacking them.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 27th July 2010 18:29